Greetings Sun City Grand and District 2 residents! My name is Aly Cline, and I am your new District 2 representative. I was sworn in on January 5th, and I am so proud to be your voice on the Surprise City Council. One of the things I am most looking forward to as your District 2 representative is hearing from you! Please reach out to me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 623.222.1322. Already, I have heard from some of my constituents with questions regarding the second government stimulus payment. The IRS has a “Get My Payment” tool on their website that can be used to find out if/when you will be receiving a payment. Visit www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment, then select the “Get My Payment” button. Please continue to reach out with any other questions or concerns you might have.
Here’s a little information about me: I have been an active volunteer in the City for the last 11 years, as a representative on the Veterans, Disability and Human Services Commission, as a volunteer coach for the City’s Parks and Recreation department, and participating in leadership for the American Cancer Society Relay for Life . I am also a lifetime member, board member, and volunteer for Friends of the Surprise Libraries Inc. I am passionate about women and minorities in business, veterans issues, education and literacy.
Please keep an eye on my website, D2.Surpriseaz.gov, for information on my Community Meetings, as I will be reaching out to residents on a regular basis. My first virtual Meet and Greet via Zoom will be on February 10 at 10 a.m. I hope you can join me as I provide city updates and answer any questions that you might have.
Zoom Meeting information:
Meeting ID: 908 913 0407
There are many great things planned this month in the City of Surprise! Please see the list below and visit our website at www.surpriseaz.gov for more information.
- Valentine’s Day is this month, and the Senior Center is hosting a virtual Valentine’s Day Canvas Decorating party! On February 12 at 9 a.m. Senior Center Members can create a love-inspired canvas using everyday household items. To reserve your canvas, call 623.222.1500.
- If you are looking for a way to help your community, I encourage you to participate in the Surprise Day of Service on February 20 from 8 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at St. Mary’s Food Bank, located at 13050 W Elm St. To volunteer, please call 623.222.1522.
- Would you like to learn more about the City of Surprise? The Surprise City Academy is going virtual on February 22. This great program gives you an opportunity to learn about the City from the Mayor, Councilmembers, City Manager and upper level city staff. The Surprise City Academy is free to attend, but you must be registered. You can learn more at surpriseaz.gov/cityacademy.
- A virtual AZ Humanities Speaker series begins on February 23 at 11 a.m. “For the Love of Turquoise” by Carrie Cannon. For registration information, please call Arts & Cultural Advisory Commissioner Kathie Morgan at 623.594.3963
- And last, but certainly not least, Spring Training at Surprise Stadium starts February 27! For the latest updates, please visit surprisestadium.com.
As a reminder, City Council meetings are still closed to in-person attendance due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but meetings can be viewed live on Surprise TV, or on Cox channel 11 and CenturyLink channel 8513. Instructions for how to comment during a meeting are included on meeting agendas.
I wish you all a Happy Valentine’s Day and a wonderful February!